By Dr. Michaell Collins, University Oxford (London)
Born in Bologna in 1955, he studied at the Liceo Artistico (Art school) and the Accademia di Belle Arti di Bologna (Bologna Academy of Fine Arts). At the very young age of five, he began to draw incessantly, and at 11 he began to study oil painting techniques. After more than 50 years of work, Giusberti is capable of discussing in a unique way various styles from the technical, historical and creative points of view.
Giusberti is an artist of imagery, and pays special attention to performing deep and accurate research, finding forms of new approaches between reality and the unknown. His paintings arise both through technology and from fidelity to his experience. By adding the observation of images to create a new dimension he starts from reality to finish with the individuality of the feelings that he himself has lived through. Giusberti’s artistic life is marked by periods of research, each represented by works produced at its climax, in a continuous pictorial evolution that is often anticipated and pioneered in the contemporary avant-garde.
In the 70’s and 80’s he made his first experiments with overlapping images. Giusberti was the first in the world to exhibit anachronistic works of art. In 1980 he made a small display in Zanichelli’s shop window of anachronistic works in pluridimensione prior to the presentation at Calvesi in Venice (1984). Giusberti then reproduced m anachronistic and multidimensional works in Mannheim, Germany and again in 1993 at an exhibition at the Palazzo Re Enzo, Bologna. Everything is in motion, and in movement lies reality. The images Giusberti paints represent our becoming, the fleeting moment, being sifted daily by strong currents, which transform and consume us. Through that moment you can understand life itself.
At the same time his research led him to the reality of the urban landscape as a means of unique representation, which is able to convey a state of mind in perpetual dynamism. He always starts from the real facts about the urban life of a great metropolis, which alone are able to convey a unique state of the soul. These works were on display in the Gnaccarini exhibition in Bologna in 1994. The works of this period were included in the collection of the Brazilian Museum of Sculpture in Sao Paulo and in the Dallas Galleria, USA. Meanwhile, he restored the fourteenth century ceiling in the Palazzo di Notai, in Bologna.
He travelled to France and Spain, where he lived for two years studying art in museums. He exhibited in Germany, Spain and the United States before arriving in Brazil, where his works are still held in high regard. In these same years he also invented transfiguration, and in 2000 experimented with painting on plexiglass, which led to a discovery, in an innovative, expressive, modern form, of his multidimensional painting that was submitted to the 2012 Venice Biennale.
In a period of change like the present, where technique dominates, Giusberti always explores the potential of artistic craftsmanship which, as in many other arts, remain the fundamental means of expression. An example is the portrait of Santo Stefano (St Stephen), commissioned in 2012 for the Basilica del Santo Stefano in Bologna, and now on display at the Museum: “…Giusberti paints with strength and the consistency of a pioneer, challenging the impending announcement of the death of painting. His Santo Stefano portrait juts out from the canvas and gets dirt on gold, slowly laid… “(from: Il Santo Stefano by Alessandro Giusberti, 2012 Bologna).
His exploration of images and forms unites work on different materials, not only canvas, but also plexiglass, crystals and glass as well as wood. He participated in the Arte Fiera 2015 exhibition, introducing images of scenic roads and suburbs of large cities even when fragmented in time and space. The destabilization observed in these works represents the cultural breakdown we are experiencing at this historical moment. The images presented in the works reflect a contemporary emotional state: the movement is frozen, fractured, and testifies to the fact that there is no longer any principle or time for internalizing and transforming experience. Giusberti’s compelling ambition today is still the pursuit of freedom of expression, which is essential to give the viewer an observation and analysis of the real world.
– 20th ST-ART2013, European Contemporary Art Fair, Strasbourg, November 27-30, Galleria Forni
– Art Verona, Verona Art Fair, October 16-19, Galleria Forni
– Personale, May 14-July 10, PRAC – Piero Renna Arte Contemporanea, Naples
– Visioni spezzate Personale, Golf Club Bologna, May 17-24
– ArteFiera Bologna 2015, January 22-26, Galleria Forni
– Lille Art Fair, European Contemporary Art Fair, February 13-16, Lille, France
– ArteFiera 2014 Bologna, January 24-27, Galleria Forni
– 18th ST-ART2013, European Contemporary Art Fair, Strasbourg, 24 November-December 2, Galleria Forni
– Art Verona, Verona Art Fair, October 14-18, Galleria Forni
– Promenades des arts, collective, Maire Arcachon, France 1-10 August 2013
– Personale, January 10-25, Galleria Forni, Bologna
– ArteFiera 2013 Bologna, January 24-27, Galleria Forni
– Personale, Museum Inga, 12 May-12 June 2012, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
– Especial Caravaggio. Realization of a film about Caravaggio with demonstration of painting using real Caravaggio techniques. TV from the State of Minas, Belo Horizonte. Broadcast throughout Latin America, Christmas 2013
– Il Teatro della pittura. Caravaggesque practical demonstrations in front of the works of the master in Minero Museum and in Casa Fiat, Belo Horizonte, during the exhibition “Caravaggio e i suoi seguaci”, Momento Italy-Brazil 2011-2012 (Mib) of the Foreign Ministry, May 27-July 6 . Interview by TV Minas
– Anxiety da Imagem, Personale, Museo Minero in Belo Horizonte, 21 March-21 April 2012, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
– Personale, Espaço Cultural V Centenario – Assembleia Legislativa do Estado de Sao Paulo, 5-7 March 2012, Sao Paulo, Brazil
– ArteFiera 2012 Bologna, January 27-30, Galleria Forni
– 54th Venice Biennale, Padiglone Italy, 2011, curated by Vittorio Sgarbi
– Brazilian Contemporary Art, Collection, Ward-Nasse Gallery, SoHo 15-30 September 2011, New York
– Cores do Brasil na Hungaria, Collection, Galeria Nador, 6-23 September 2011, Budapest, Hungary, curator Carmen Inn
– Landscape, Collection, Stadtmuseum Klausen Museo Civico Chiusa 10 June-23 July 2011, Chiusa, Bolzano
– CASA COR 2011 Edition, 24 May-12 July 2011, Sao Paulo, Brazil
– A captura do efêmero na obra de Giusberti, Personale, 6 November-9 December, Nova André Galeria, Sao Paulo Brazil, curator Sonia Prieto
– OFF IV Bienal, collection, 26 October-27 November, Slaviero & Guedes Galeria de Arte, de Cidade Jardim, Sao Paulo.
– Art Verona 10, ArteFiera di Verona, 14-18 October, Forni Gallery
– Nuove dimensioni, personale, 6 May-4 June, Galleria Forni, Bologna
– ArteFiera 2010 Bologna, January 21-24, Galleria Forni
– Magazine cover, CASAMIX architecture, design, landscaping. Ranked #70 November 2009, Sao Paulo, Brazil
– 14th ST-ART2009, European Contemporary Art Fair, Strasbourg, 26-30 November, Galleria Forni
– Art Verona, ArteFiera di Verona, 14-21 September, Forni Gallery, collective, September Galleria Forni, Bologna
– ArteFiera 2009 Bologna, 23-26 January, Galleria Forni
– 13th ST-ART2008, European Contemporary Art Fair, Strasbourg, 21-24 November, Galleria Forni
– Art Verona, Verona Art Fair, 16-20 October, Galleria Forni
– Architetture sensibili, Collection, Centre of Contemporary Art, Castello di Rivara, Torino, 28 June, 2008
– ArteFiera 2008 Bologna, 24-28 January, Galleria Forni
– 12th ST-ART2007, European Contemporary Art Fair, Strasbourg, 22-26 November, Galleria Forni
– Nuovi realismi, collection, 12 October-25 November, PAC Pavilion of Contemporary Art, Milan, produced by the City of Milan-Culture, curator Vittorio Sgarbi
– Art Verona, Verona Art Fair, 18-22 October, Galleria Forni
– Nuovi realismi, collection 21 July-2 September, 58° Premio Michetti, Palazzo San Domenico, Francavilla a Mare
– All’incrocio dei sogni, personale, 9 March-3 April, Galleria Forni, Bologna
– Persistenza dell’immagine, Arte a Bologna generazioni a confronto, collection, 25 January-25 February, Grafique Art Gallery, Bologna, editor: Franco Basile
– ArteFiera 2007 Bologna, 25-28 January, Galleria Forni
– Personale, 30 May-30 June 30, Nova Andrè Galeria, San Paolo (Brazil), curator Carlos von Schmidt
– ArteFiera 2006 Bologna, 25-30 January, Galleria Forni
Giusberti has participated in various television and radio programmes, with live demonstrations of techniques for oil portraits, including:
– “Roxy Bar” TMC, Maurizio Costanzo Sow Channel 5, Brazilian television network SBT, RECORD, CBI, TV Mulher TV Globo São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro
PUBLICATIONS / REVIEWS